There is definitely something poetic about the process of cooking a tagine, and something intimate about sharing one with friends and family.
This moreish Moroccan lentil and eggplant tagine is highly flavourful, aromatic, authentic and super easy to prepare.
Plus, it happens that this dish is meat free so if you are a vegetarian, you are on a winner here!
Put on some middle Eastern chill beats, pour yourself a drink and let the poetry begin.
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 10 min COOKING TIME: 30 min
1/2 Packet of our Moroccan lentils
6 tbs olive oil
2 Eggplants (cut in 2cm rounds and then in 4’s)
1 tin of chickpeas (drained)
1 tin of cherry tomatoes
600 ml water
Mint, toasted almonds and olive oil to decorate
If you don’t have a tagine dish, don’t worry, you can perfectly cook yours in a Dutch oven or your favourite pot.
- Preheat oven 180 degrees
- Dice eggplant and coat in 3 tbs of olive oil
- Heat 3 tbs of olive oil in the Dutch oven or pot on high, add the eggplant and chickpeas and sauté for 3 minutes
- Once eggplant starts to golden add the Moroccan lentils and sauté for another minute until fragrant.
- Now add cherry tomatoes and water, mix well and bring to a boil
- Cook in the oven (lid on) for 30 minutes or until lentils are al dente
- If drying up add a little more water while in the oven
- Decorate with fresh mint, toasted almonds and drizzle a little olive oil
Heavenly matched with our Moroccan couscous.