Indulge in the flavors of Morocco with our easy-to-make Moroccan Rice with Roasted Eggplant and Crispy Lamb.
Imagine the simplicity of roasting eggplant to smoky perfection and crisping up flavorful crispy lamb mince, all while the aromatic rice cooks to perfection. It’s a delightful fusion of ease and exotic taste, promising a gourmet homemade meal without the fuss.
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 10 MIN | COOKING TIME 45 MIN
1 packet of our Moroccan rice
2 large eggplants
500 g lamb mince
3 tbsp olive oil
Yoghurt, 2 tbs pinenuts, chilli and coriander to serve
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise. Keep the stem intact and cut through it, it helps hold the eggplant together once roasted and soft.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut 2.5cm diamonds into the flesh, cutting down as far as you are comfortable without piercing the flesh.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil over the eggplant and roast for 45 minutes at 180°C/350°F (160°C fan) or until the eggplant is softened. Sometimes it takes longer – don’t forget to check the edges.
- After 20 minutes of the eggplant cooking, begin preparing the rice. In a large, heavy-based saucepan or casserole dish, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the contents of the packet and fry for 1 minute. Pour in 3 1/2 cups of water and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed (lid off).
- When the eggplant has about 5 minutes to go, heat a medium-sized pan over high heat. Fry the lamb mince until it becomes irresistibly crispy.
- Top the roasted eggplant with the Moroccan rice and crispy lamb mince.
- Dollop on creamy yogurt, generously sprinkle with pine nuts, a pinch of fiery chili, and a handful of fresh coriander. Now, it’s time to dive into a world of flavors – enjoy!